Need help identifying tree species

I have looked and looked but have not been able to identify this tree species. Any help would be appreciated. I’m pretty certain that its probably some type of fungus has overtaken the tree but I have never seen anything like this or even close. I live in SW Missouri and this pic was taken on 5.21.20. This tree is located on my property right off of the creek bank. If there is any other information I can give you in order to identify this species, please don’t hesitate to ask.
image-7a1154db-61a8-4170-94ea-a18530be4f8c55938002089875846|375x500
Thank you for your time and help in advance!!

Very interesting! For identification of photographed wildlife, we always recommend the online community at iNaturalist. You would need to register with them to post your photo, but they have the largest assemblage of professional and self-taught naturalists on the internet. If anyone can help you, they can.

Jen

Hi,

Fascinating.

Can you post a picture of a leaf or two with something to give scale?

Ty! I will definitely give them a try!

Here is a picture of the leaves but its too far back for me to get some thing for scale next to it.

Ah - thx.

Could it be a Blue Birch? Blue Birch | Betula caerulea

(My first guess was Grey Alder, but that’s a European tree and the trunk is very different.)

Celtis occidentalis, Hackberry tree, very common “trash tree” as it grows quickly and is weak. I have three I wish I had cut down years ago. Weird lumpy bark, shallow roots. If it hangs over your house get rid of it. Location is St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana.

nice leafs, what kind of tree?

it looks like young and walnut family from the leaves to me