Centaurea cineraria picture mis-identified?

The picture illustrating the Centaurea cineraria page seems to be of Jacobaea maritima. The flowers resemble J. maritima and don’t look like Centaurea flowers. According to Wild Flowers of the Mediterranean by Marjorie Blamey and Christopher Grey-Wilson (2nd ed., Bloomsbury, London, 2004), the flowers are purple.

I see what you mean. I replaced it on the cover page and will work on getting it moved to Jacobaea maritima at the image provider. Thanks for reporting!

Looks like the wrong picture is still there. There are many images on gbif.org, also you could use the one from Curtis’s Botanical Magazine: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/curt.12431 .

Hmm… I wonder if we got the mislabeled image through a different source last time. I wish I’d made a note. For the record, this one came through our flickr group. I’ll check that the “hide” flag persists next time we update the flickr import. And I think we’ve lost some other images that were once available on the Centaurea cineraria page. We certainly aught to have some from iNaturalist. I’ll check here again when that is next updated, which should be in the next month or so. Thank you for reporting, (again) @mbrandobo !

Jen

Hi Jen, sorry, but that incorrect photo is still there. Also, the use of ‘dusty miller’ is problematic. Dusty miller refers to Jacobaea maritima. It appears people in the US also use this name for Centaurea cineraria hence the confusion w the picture - see the discussion on p 47 in: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/curt.12431 (Curtis’s Botanical Magazine) - Senico cineraria is a synonym for J. maritima.

Wikipedia also gives the name ‘Velvet Centaurea’ as preferred, doesn’t trip off the tongue but at least is clear. Maybe just needs a note on the page.

cheers.

Thanks for reporting, @pcrooker ! This page sure is illustrating various problems with our curation tools. I’ve replaced the image and common name and will monitor this issue next time that image provider is refreshed.

Cheers,

Jen

Hi Jen, yes automation can suck. Thanks for looking.

Phil