Contributing Pictures

When I go to a particular species I see a lot of pictures contributed from outside sources like iNature. I can’t find any instructions on how to do this. I’m expect that I’m overlooking something but I’ve searched EOL. iNature and Flickr. Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Hello, @snowyowl13 ! iNaturalist is certainly the best and easiest way to contribute photos.

You don’t have to do anything special. If you add photos to iNaturalist using their default settings (please don’t change the license of your photos to All Rights Reserved, for instance; we can’t take those), then once your identification is confirmed by the iNat community (marking it “research grade”) it becomes available to several data hubs, for which the scientific community will be grateful.

There will be some delay in new iNat photos getting to EOL. Currently our system cannot update galleries as large as iNat very efficiently; we need to make some improvements before we can have timely updates. But we will get them in due course. And the Global Biodiversity Information Facility also receives records from iNat, so you will be helping monitor the global distribution of the species you photograph.

Thanks for asking!

Jen

Thank you. I have set iNature to cc but I have the copyright symbol on many of my pictures. I’ll see about changing that.